Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The importance of writing drafts and editing and crap, part deus

When it comes to the fine art of writing, there are few people whose opinion I respect more than my wife's.  So, when she decides to share some of her wisdom with me, you all had better believe I am going to be all ears.

Last night she shed some of that wisdom while we discussed the blog I posted about Walt Disney World.  For the most part, the conversation focused on using drafts as a way to better focus my writing, and making the language I use more active so as to better engage the reader.

As a lazy and impatient writer, I hate drafts.  I desire nothing more than to get it done and get it out there NOW!  However, I know how beneficial drafts can be, especially for someone like myself who tends to write in a steam-of-conscious kind of style. More often than not, I lose my focus and allow my writing to become distracted. (Oo! A birdie!)

I also lean too much upon " to be" in all it's vile, evil forms, which makes my writing as exciting as a jaunt through waist-deep mud.  I'm quite good at picking up on and fixing someone else's passive-style (or used to be) so I need to get into the habit of doing that for myself (you know, like do a draft or two before publishing). 

So, I came up with an experiment: Last night I published a post wherein I expounded upon the same topic.  I released that monster to the world raw and unedited then slept on it.  Tonight I looked over the entry, did some touching up of the language and have now  re-submitted it for your viewing pleasure.

Success?

No comments: