Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My obsession with Disney World

I have a mild obsession with Walt Disney World.  And by "mild" I mean "massive".

I love the place.

I went once when I was a child and it is one of my top childhood memories.  My family was there right around when "The Lion King" came out so "Hakuna Matata" was playing everywhere we went.  I was amazed by everything, and marveled at all of the "magic".  My favorite ride was The Haunted Mansion, mostly because of the end when a ghost rides in the car with you.  How did they do that?

Since then, I wanted to return.

I was fortunate enough to go last May for a couple days and MAN did I make the most of it, hitting everything I wanted and getting to four parks in one day.  It was a fantastic tease.

But it was different this time.  Obviously I was older, so I was seeing the "magic" through different eyes.  I could see some of the strings and noticed some of those men who were behind the curtain spinning the gears.  It hit me then that that was what I wanted to do.  

I wanted to be one of those "magicians" (as I call them because I'm sure Disney has some fun and fancy name for their employees) who brought the wonder to the eyes of all the guests.  I wanted to make their dreams come true the way all those people did for me.

Part of this stems from my depression and how I struggle so much with making myself happy.  One sure-fire way to boost my spirits is to boost someone else's and by golly, is there any happier place on earth than Disney World?  (yes, DisneyLand, but that's not the point) I want to be a part of that: I want to be a part of someone's magical day!  I've been the part of many not-so-magical days at the hospital and always enjoyed the challenge of giving someone five good minutes in an otherwise crap day.  

Disney magic would be a new challenge. One that I hope to someday embrace.

...we'll see.

No comments: