Thursday, November 27, 2008

Twilight in review

Ok, so it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but I will say this: if you really want to experience the movie, bring a teenage girl so that you get the full gurgling effect.

It was very clear that this movie was (like the Harry Potter movies) Twilight 101.  You could clearly tell that things were glossed over.  For example, it seemed like the kids with whom Bella was friends with were either super-horny, super-confident boys or super-stereotypical girls.  For some reason I don't think Stephanie Meyer wrote them that one-dimensionally.  

The core story was pretty good, though.  The love and romance between Bella and Edward were handled well.  I thought Bella, though obviously mature for her age, was portrayed the way a real 17 year-old would behave in a similar situation; she was believable.  Edward was sufficiently dreamy, and creepy.  His, and all the other Cullens', whiteness was disconcerting, very vampire-like.  That was probably what they were going for, so that's cool.

I wish I was a Cullen just for the cars.  They were sweet.  Really sweet.

So, basically, go give it a chance.  From what I hear, the next book was better so hopefully the sequel will be even better.

No comments: