Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Geoff Johns Can Do The Impossible

When it comes to comic book, I have been a Marvel-guy through and through. No variance. I read Marvel comics with the occasional exception of a Batman comic here and there. I'd check out DC events like Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis, but frankly, I wasn't a fan. I knew nothing about the history of the characters or the DC Universe (from now on called the DCU), so I didn't really care about the stories.

A few months ago I realized I was poor and couldn't afford to be buying comics regularly any more so I stopped buying them. One thing caught my eye, though, Green Lantern: Blackest Night, a DC comic event. I thought the idea sounded cool, but again, I didn't know much about Green Lantern or the complex history, so I didn't think I would start reading this big event.

As I read Wizard magazine, they kept hyping Blackest Night, saying it was going to be awesome and giving information for people who were interested in it. I read this info, and it intrigued me. I decided to pick up the big story-line before Blackest Night called the Sinestro Corps. War.

It was awesome.

So I have been picking up the rest of the stuff that came between Sinestro Corps. and the current Blackest Night, and let me tell you, the quality is consistently good.

For this, you can thank Geoff Johns, the mastermind writing these great stories. He is weaving a dense, complex tale filled with action and intrigue as well as some straight up terror (there be super-hero zombies walkin' round the DCU right now, folks)! It's a story about emotion and it's effect on the universe. It's a story that pits some of the DCU's greatest heroes against dark, twisted, and abstract versions of themselves.

And the art is pretty, too! The guys they have working the pencils on these stories are freaking phenomenal, giving consistent, realistic portrayals of some of the weirdest looking creatures ever drawn. It's great!

Seriously, if you are a comic fan, get out there and check this story out! Issue 1 of Blackest Night is on the shelves now, go get it!

No comments: